Why don’t people create their own software anymore?
1) They don’t have to. They can just buy what they need.
While this is true, there are so many times when packaged software doesn’t do exactly what is needed. There are also so many kinds of useful software that could be written that will not make it onto store shelves.
2) People don’t know that they can create their own software.
In fact they may even wonder why they should bother. They don’t know what they’re missing. Programming is a much better way to spend brain cells than watching TV or surfing the web.
3) It is really hard to create software with the popular languages (Java, Perl, C++).
This is not possible to overemphasize! Why these intractable languages have become popular is beyond me. Don’t get me wrong. These languages have their place but they aren’t suitable for the average guy or gal. These are complicated programming languages for lawyers.
4) The computer doesn’t come with an easy to use programming language anymore.
This is SOOOO important. It used to be that when you turned the average computer on, the first thing it did was start BASIC. You could start programming immediately, and it was very easy to pick up. It was very forgiving so nothing bad happened if you made a mistake, and it was fun!
5) People think that programming isn’t an important part of computer literacy.
Everyone will admit that it is good to understand cars if you are going to drive one. It helps you to drive more safely, and if you break down somewhere you stand a chance of helping yourself out of a tough spot. It is no different with computers. If you learn to program computers it helps you to take advantage of them, and not the other way around.